Position Start Dates:
Quarter 3 (July - September), Quarter 4 (October - December)
American Hotel & Lodging Association:
Who We Are and What We Do.
For more than 100 years, the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) has been the foremost representative of and advocate for the U.S. lodging industry. We are the only national association that represents all segments of an industry that is among the 10 largest business sectors in America. We advocate for our members so they can do their best at what matters most: serving guests, employees, and their communities.
From major global brands to small inns and bed & breakfasts, AHLA provides a singular voice that brings together the industry’s multitude of constituents. Our industry is incredibly diverse and represents everyone from brand CEOs to independent hotel owners, general managers, and hotel staff and is an integral contributor to the American economy. Our offices are located in Washington, D.C.
AHLA Internship Program
AHLA offers paid summer internship opportunities: in government relations, membership services, partnership business development, communications/marketing, administration/ops, and in the AHLA Foundation (AHLAF). We strive to offer a comprehensive internship program that provides insight into association work and vast exposure to the hotel and lodging industry, including hands-on learning and the opportunity to create a relevant portfolio to present to future employers.
Interns will be based at our headquarters in D.C., where they will participate in initiatives such as policy, advocacy, communications, member engagement, strategic partnerships, or one of our many AHLAF programs. Interns will also participate in training and development opportunities. The program starts in June and finishes in August. Interns will be paid $20/hr bi-weekly and will be expected to work 40 hours per week. In addition to competitive hourly pay, AHLA offers all interns a transportation stipend of $75 per month to help absorb commuting costs.
The 2024 Summer Internship program will be “in-person” and located in the Washington DC office. Interns are responsible for their own health insurance, housing, and travel expenses to and from Washington, D.C.
How do I apply?
To be eligible, you must be a rising junior, rising senior or graduate student and available for the duration of the internship program. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S., have a strong interest in the hospitality industry, and have at least a 3.0 GPA. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume by 5:00 pm EDT on March 1, 2024. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis and final decisions will be made no later than March 26, 2024.
The AHLA Foundation (AHLAF), the charitable giving arm of the American Hotel & Lodging Association, is dedicated to helping people build careers, improve their lives and strengthen the lodging industry. We are a dynamic, entrepreneurial organization that is poised for growth and works hand-in-hand with AHLA to advance the industry.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with day-to-day portfolio management procedures and processes to ensure that the major gift fundraising team has accurate and reliable information.
- Research prospective donors, assist with the production of special mailings and ensure donor interactions are accurately recorded in our donor database.
- Research sample policies and procedures in support of AHLAF’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) Initiative.
- Communicate with AHLAF members via phone, e-mail and mail, and assist with special projects as needed.
- Assist the team with mailings to scholarship recipients.
- Draft content for the various social channels.
- Provide support around database updating and regular file maintenance.
- Edit/update AHLAF website.
- Print meeting materials and schedule meetings.
- Provide PR support around upcoming Foundation events.
- Co-Design and lead one internal “Lunch & Learn” Seminar outlining knowledge obtained and value-added from participation in the AHLA summer internship program.
Apply here: https://apply.workable.com/j/7F45C89DD5
AHLA is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.