The Country Club of Mobile was organized in 1897 before the turn of the century, and was incorporated on March 1, 1899. It was located along the Old Bay Shell Road, which ran along Mobile Bay, and just north of the Brookley Coast Guard Base. The original Clubhouse was very modest and it was an area where members would gather prior to playing a round of golf.
During the latter part of 1914, the Club moved to its present location in Spring Hill. Plans were developed to build a Clubhouse on the site. The Clubhouse, a magnificent three-story structure, resembled a country home and was designed to represent a real Southern spirit and be in harmony with its surroundings of sweeping hills and live oaks.
The structure was dedicated and formally opened on March 3, 1917. This Clubhouse was the “Pride of the South” and was one of the finest clubhouses in the country. During the early morning hours of December 29, 1925, fire swept through the main Clubhouse building, resulting in total loss of the facility, as well as the lives of the Club Manager, the Golf Professional and his wife. Immediately, plans were put in motion to build a new clubhouse on the same site.
The present Clubhouse, although undergoing a number of additions and remodeling, was completed in early 1927. The Country Club of Mobile is one of the finest country Clubs in the country. The Club is renowned for excellent food, a warm gracious atmosphere, and friendly service. The Club has earned this outstanding reputation over its long history and maintains its prestige today.
Country Club of Mobile
4101 Wimbledon Drive
Mobile, AL 36608
Fax: (251) 343-1242